Seventeen and a half years ago I started working in the Shoe Industry. On day one, I was taught three footwear truths by some old “shoe dogs”.
- Once you start working in the shoe business, you will never leave it.
- Canadian women will never wear wooden clogs, no matter how many runways feature them during fashion week.
- You can always judge a person’s sense of fashion by their shoes.
These lessons proved to be valuable- and very true. And since us shoe people are walking around judging your fashion sense by your footwear choice, I will share some shoe counsel from my 17+ years of working in this fabulous industry to save you from any further embarrassment ;)
- The Ubiquitous White Sneaker. Yes, it’s still all the rage and you CAN wear them outside of the gym. They look best with jeans (preferably skinny); a casual tank dress, especially cute when worn with a baseball cap and shades. Or for a more classic look, wear with crop pants and a crisp button down or an off shoulder top.
- Taper toe high heel pumps in nude. Every woman should own a pair. Choose a tone that best matches your skin. When worn with bare legs and a dress, they will make your legs look longer- and who doesn’t want that?
- Bright Colours! I love bright colours, but please, if you choose to pull off a beautiful red dress or a cobalt blue jacket, or even something yellow- please don’t try and match your shoes to your outfit! Always wear a neutral tone with brights. No black either- it’s too dark and will ruin the vibe of your cheerful look.
- Balance is crucial. Wear platforms or a chunky heel with wide leg pants. Stilettos work best with skinny pants, pencil skirts or fitted dresses.
- Ballerinas look great with crop straight pants, please not with boot cut or wide leg pants.
- Over the knee heeled boots- these are stunning and not easy to pull off -they look best with a short skirt and a chunky sweater. If you wear them with a fitted tight dress, that is just a little too sexy in my opinion.
- Short booties are the most versatile choice of footwear. They go with absolutely everything. I recommend you splurge on these and make sure you choose a comfortable pair, because you WILL wear them every single day.
- Snip toe pumps - just don't wear them- it's over.
- Matching your bag with your shoes….this is an art. They need to be in the same family however not matching exactly. Leopard bag with leopard shoes? Please no. Nude pumps with a taupe snake skin clutch- yes!
- Always ensure your toes are well pedicured before wearing open toe shoes!
Till the next time- remember, one shoe can change your life- just ask Cinderella :) Catherine